ASIAN ORANGE CHICKEN
Serving Size 4 oz. chicken
1/4 of the sauce
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
1. 11/4 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 Tbsp cornstarch
2 Tbsp flour
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
1/2 cup water
2 Tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 Tbsp fresh grated ginger
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp freshly ground black or white pepper
1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions
1 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds
2 tsp fresh orange zest and toss to coat with the flour mixture.
1/4-1/2 tsp red chili flakes
1. Cut the chicken into 1- inch cubes. Combine the cornstarch and flour in a large bowl. Ad the chicken and toss to coat with the flour mixture.
2. In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and stir-fry for 6-7 minutes, or until the chicken is browned and cooked through. Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside.
3. Remove any excess fat from the skillet. Add the orange juice, water, soy sauce, ginger, sugar, coriander, and pepper. Bring to boiling, then lower the heat and simmer for 5-6 minutes, until slightly thickened.
4. Add the chicken to the sauce and simmer for 2 minutes. Add the scallions, sesame seeds, orange zest, and chili flakes and serve immediately.
PER SERVING: Calories 235, Total Fat 9 g (sat. Fat 1.3 g), Cholesterol 65 mg, sodium 280 mg, Potassium 310 mg, Total Carbohydrate 11 g (fiber 1 g, Sugars 3 g), Protein 26 g, Phosphorus 205 mg Choices: Carbohydrate 1, Lean Protein 3, Fat 0.5
Reference: DIABETES FORECAST MAGAZINE Jan. 2016 pg. 70
Recipe by Robyn Webb, MS,